December 28, 2009

Going to the Movies

Hands down going to the movies was the hardest thing I've done since I started this diet.  The holidays paled in comparison.  I parked my car and walked up to the theater and was immediately bombarded by the smell of freshly popped popcorn and melted butter.  It got worse as I walked into the theater and practically ran past the snack bar into our auditorium.  My daughter and I found seats just as the previews started along with the accost on my senses: seeing snack bar commercials with the popping popcorn and overflowing cokes, smelling popcorn and nachos, hearing crunching and chewing of said nachos and popocorn, feeling the empty cupholder at the end of arm rest, and tasting the unsatisfying fluidity of my shake.  The movie was good but I will be glad when I can see it on video without the distraction of the good vs. bad angels arguing on my shoulders throughout the entire movie.  "Go ahead and get some popcorn.  It won't set you back THAT far and besides you've earned it", said the bad angel.  "NO, don't do it!  It WILL set you back entirely OR even further.  You've done so good so far so DON'T blow it!", said the good angel.  Lucky for me I listened to the good angel so I'm not kicking myself today.

3 comments:

  1. Way to go! We link food to so many activities in our daily lives and often it's becomes a reflex. It's important to learn how to enjoy those activities without the need for the food that is ancillary. Got to get away from "hear the bell, start to drool!"

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes, it is definitely a pavlovian response. The activities my mind connects with food are many and strong. This will be one of the biggest hurdles I will face once I am able to eat again. Luckily, I am beginning to recognize my trigger situations and will be able to work with the behaviorist in the EatRight program to help with further modification. Thanks for the encouragement and wise words!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I really hate that bad angel! Hang in there!

    Jamie

    ReplyDelete